A Day in Syria: April 12th 2018
By Caroline Pearse & H. E.
- According to official American sources, samples of blood and urine, taken from victims in Syria last weekend, are showing traces of chlorine gas and neurotoxic agent. This allows them to be certain that the chemical weapons’ attack has been committed by the Syrian regime.
- Great Britain has ordered British submarines to move within missile range of Syria in readiness for strikes against the Assad regime.
- The Syrian regime forces have started to take the airplanes and military devices out of the airport of Deir-Ezzor for fear of a planned attack.
- French President Macron: “We have proof Syria used chemical weapons.(…) France will respond at a time of our choosing when we judge it to be the most useful and the most effective. (…) Regimes that think they can do everything they want, including the worst things that violate international law, cannot be allowed to act”.
- The American President Donald Trump has declared on Twitter today: “Never said when an attack on Syria would take place. Could be very soon or not so soon at all!”
- The American Defense Secretary Mattis has declared that the National Security Council would discuss today options about Syria. According to James Mattis, these options will be presented to the American President.
- The German Chancellor Angela Merkel has declared today: ” It is obvious that the Syrian regime didn’t eradicate all its chemical arsenal”. She also said that Germany would not participate in military operations in Syria.
- Sweden has submitted a draft resolution about the last chemical attacks on Douma. The most important part of this resolution is the total support to the mission of the working committee of the Organisation for the prohibition of chemical weapons, OPCW, in Douma.
- A little girl has died today from her wounds following the Russian air raids of yesterday’s attack on the suburb of Kastoun in Sahl Alghab near Hama.
- The regime artillery has bombed Harch Abdin and the suburb of Al-visit in the southern countryside of Idlib in Syria. The bombing led to one victim and injured people.
- Several Russian air raids have taken place in the province of Idlib. The Russian aviation has targeted the town of Al-Humeirat at Mount Chahchabo.
- A car bomb in the city of Aazaz has led to several persons injured today, all civilians. The city of Aazaz is under the control of the Syrian opposition and it is a crossroads of several important roads in the province of Aleppo.
- Eleven civilians have died today because of a mine left on a road near Afrin.
- The shepherd Jassem Al-Humeidi has died today because of a mine near the city of Raqqa.
- The Turkish army has bombed the positions of the Kurdish Democratic Union Party today in Syria.
- Several demonstrations took place in Iran yesterday. One of their claims was to “get out of Syria”.
- Despite being suspected of using chemical gas, Syria will chair the UN Disarmament forum on chemical weapons.
This post is also available in: Français (French)