A Day in Syria: March 30th 2018
By Caroline Pearse
- The Russian Ministry of Defense has announced that an agreement had been reached with the Rebels of Douma in Eastern Ghouta, which Jay al-Islam, the armed faction of ASL in Douma immediately denied.
- According to Le Parisien newspaper, Emmanuel Macron received a syrian kurdish delegation to the Elysee on Thursday. Asiya Abdellah, a representative of the Kurds, announced France would send soldiers to Manbij where American forces are in place. Khaled Issa, the representative of Syrian Kurdistan (Rojava) in France said : “France wants to strengthen its military presence”.
- Turkey has refused any French mediation today between Turkey and an Arab-Kurdish force.
- The SDF, Syrian Democratic Forces, announced the launch of the « Syrian Future Party » on Tuesday. This political group aims at having a better representativity of various ethnical parties and also at withdrawing from the oversight of the PKK to pacify the relations with Turkey.
- The President of America, Donald Trump, declared that the United States would go out of Syria very soon. He asserted several times in a speech in Ohio that Americans would leave soon as the Jihadists from ISIS were being defeated.
- Russia and the Syrian regime have continued today to bomb the province of Idlib. The city of Deraa has been hit too by two missiles launched by the regime. Several communities of the province of this town have been bombed.
- Dozens of vigils have taken place in Paris, London, Brussels, Dublin, Lyon and other cities around the world today in solidarity with Eastern Ghouta and its population. Activists have called for the deportation of the population to stop immediately, for the protection of all civilians and for all bombings to stop.
- The Syrian regime offered to establish a maritime centre in Crimea to develop trade with Russia. The offer was made during a visit of the Russian delegation in Damas which gathered representatives of Crimea, of the Association of Russian companies and of the organising committee of the International Economic Conference in Yalta.
- The image of the day : a member of the Syrian Civil Defence during a mission to locate unexploded munitions abandoned after fightings or air raids. The special units will be informed to destroy the located charge.
This post is also available in: Français (French)